BONUS: I finally got to meet Jen! I love meeting/knowing other bloggers and/or AR Rockers. To my people: I know how much work you do! I know it's a labor of love! Don't stop ever!
Folks! We got KMHD "Lynndieing" my cousin:

I.Kill.Eternally.

Zach!

Re: Michael Jackson. Right now, I just can't put into words how sad it all is to me. I'm feeling very overprotective of the dude. This is a comment that I left on Alannah's blog:
Alannah, it's such a relief to find another person who is as sad as I am. I feel like I've been defending my right to be upset about our loss since Thursday.
I made an MJ poster to put up @ the Eclipse Glasses/Cool Shoes event on Friday. I was jammin' on the dance floor when some youngster came up to me and asked if I wanted to sign the poster. I was like WHAT. I looked over and all of these people were crowded around it waiting their turn to sign it. You would think that would be awesome, but it was the most hateful stuff! Me, the emotional wreck, just kinda stood on the floor (in the round) shaking my head shaking my head.
Heartbreak.
Kids can be cruel.


On a much lighter, happier note, me & KMHD got to try elote for the first time. Funnily, it was at the Asian Fest where we tried this typically Mexican street food. This was a big moment for us, so we found a nice quiet corner to really get into it and enjoy it. It did not disappoint! I mean, roasted corn on the cob w/ mayo and Parmesan cheese?!! (If it wasn't Parm, it was very very very similar.) It's so good, we're adding it to our 4th of July menu. I'd like to try it with lime mayo. I know, yumg!

So, Asian Fest. How can I type about it w/o sounding so bummed? It wasn't at all what I thought it would be. I thought that we'd show up, help set up my aunt & my mum's food booth, walk around, eat, take in some acts, and leave. Nooooooo no no no. Mum neglected to tell us that we were full-time volunteers. Hey-o! My mother delegated the awful and daunting task of making a metric ton of Vietnamese food to my aunt, the best cook in the family. My aunt paid (dearly) for everything AND did all of the work, yet the booth was named after Anh, my mom! You know, the lady that cannot cook! Too, things were not planned well. They didn't have serving trays, plates, signs with prices, etc. Guess who had to make several "emergency" runs to the store to buy all of this stuff? Everyone was frustrated. Everyone. I can't say that the food we peddled was quintessential Vietnamese food. There was no pho or bahn mi or Vietnamese coffee! And, this is crazy to me, there was not one bottle of Sriacha in the entire building. Obviously, I didn't get my killer planning skills from my mother. Ain't no way this would've happened under my watch. We just dealt with it the best we could.
If someone can explain to me when Argentina & Mexico became Asian nations, that would be awesome. I guess, though, we wouldn't have been able to try elote if they weren't!


So, I'm struggling with my failure in that I don't get along with my little cousin. She frustrates me to no end! She's 13. I'm sure you're all like, "That's it right there! Teenager!" But, seriously, I can't talk to her. I can't even ask her a simple question like, "Would you like some breakfast?" without getting some grief. I know I'm going to sound like a child myself, but this kid is so critical of me, my friends & my lifestyle that I almost want to tell her that if she can't employ some form of civility, then she can just stay home with her mother. I mean, we invite her to stay with us so she can "get away" from the 'rents and have a little fun, but it's never fun. KMHD & I agreed that the next time she visits, she will stay with her. I'm hoping that helps. Because I don't know what else to do. This really bothers me. Teenagers. Who even likes them? (I'm kidding!)
We've been given a 3-day weekend to celebrate the 4th of July. As posted earlier, the cookout will be at our home. You know I'm totally planning planning. I think we're going to buy ourselves a new grill!
3 comments:
Re: elote. That delicious parm-type stuff is cotija. It comes in a feta-type hardish block of cheese, or you can get a crumbled, dry version, which is what you want on your elote. It should be like $5 for a 1 lb bag that will last you a long time, and is good sprinkled on just about any mexican foodstuffs.
sometimes teenagers need to be called on their shitty behavior. I like to say to Stella, "Do I ever talk to you the way you talk to me? No? Then for chrissake - STOP!" Then they have to be left alone to sulk in peace....
I want to kick those MJ-haters in the kneecaps. But that's just the sort of day I'm having.
What I really want to do is come to your cookout and relax and not think about anyone from the African continent for 24 hours. But that's not gonna happen.
Thx, JM! LR now has a SuperMercado Fresca. It's awesome! They have Cokes with real sugar!
Alannah, I've never wanted to scream in the face of someone so! My cousin doesn't take kind to diplomacy, but she has ONE MORE CHANCE to figure it out.
Maaaan, I wish all you's people could come hang with us on the 4th. Daaaaaaaaaaang.
Post a Comment